U.S. Lighthouse Society Submissions
1. Photo Contest for the 2019 Society Lighthouse Calendar
Categories (all photos should relate to light stations, aids to navigation, lightships, or USCG facilities)
- Weather (starts January 20, ends February 28)
- Reflection or Unusual Perspective (starts February 15, ends March 30)
- Sunrise / Sunset (starts March 15, ends April 30)
- Technology (starts April 15, ends May 30)
- Detail or Abstract (starts May 15, ends June 30)
- Landscape (starts June 18, ends August 15)
- Preservation Project or Special Event ( starts August 16, ends September 15)
Finalists will be chosen by a review panel for each category. Images for the printed calendar will be selected from the finalists. Each finalist will receive a free calendar. Calendars will be available for purchase in the Keeper's Locker and will be mailed in late October 2018.
Finalists for each category will be contacted upon making the final decisions.
2. Donation of Lighthouse Keeper Photos
Please use this form for donating images of lighthouse keepers and other personnel to the U.S. Lighthouse Society's Archives and Online Catalog Project.
Welcome to the U.S. Lighthouse House Society's 2019 Lighthouse Calendar Contest!
Submission Category No. 7: Preservation Project or Special Event. This catagory presents a wide variety of options. With all of the great preservation work being done as well as the different events being held at lightouses from coast to coast. For this category try to artistically capture an aspect of the preservation project or special event. Submission deadline for this category is September 15, 2018.
- Participating photographers must be active members of the U.S. Lighthouse Society. Click here to join / renew or pay the $40 membership fee with a credit card as part of your submission.
- Each member can submit one image per category. (Each category will have a separate submissions form.)
- Digital submissions only.
- Submission Format: Please submit in JPG or TIF format, that is at least 8 1/2 by 11-inches, and at a minimum of 300 dpi. Unfortunately, smaller images cannot be used for the final printed product.
- File Name: Include "lighthouse name," "state," "year taken" and "photographer name" in the file name of your photo. For example: "Jones Point VA 2017 by Candace Clifford"
- Submit only photos that you have taken.
- Photos must be unrestricted. Unless you instruct the Society otherwise, by submitting images to this project, you are giving your permission for the Society to use your image in social media and printed publications. You may specify on the submissions form whether or not it can be included in the Society’s digital archive.
- Some preference will be given to images with a landscape orientation. It is permissible to create a file in a landscape orientation using two portrait images. (Do not send two images; combine the images into one before submitting.)
- Photographers 17 years old or younger should provide the name of a parent or guardian on the submission form.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for sharing your photos of lighthouse keepers for inclusion in the U.S. Lighthouse Society's Archives and Online Catalog.
Please provide a high-resolution copy. If possible, please Include the name of the keeper, light station, year of photo, and courtesy credit in the file name. For example, "Ida Lewis Lime Rock 1900 courtesy of John J. Lewis"
Please contact Rich <email@example.com> if you have more than five images to submit or have any questions.